- 1915 -1919
This collection draws on the archives of Louisa Garrett Anderson (7LGA) and of Nina Last (7NLA) which relate to Endell Street Military Hospital.
In August 1914, Louisa Garrett Anderson and Flora Murray founded the Women’s Hospital Corps under the auspices of the French Red Cross. Louisa was chief surgeon. They established a hospital in the Hotel Claridge in Paris which ran from September 1914 to January 1915. In November 1914, they were asked to open a second hospital at Wimereux under the Royal Army Medicine Corps (RAMC), which ran until early 1915. They were then offered hospital premises in London, so closed both hospitals in France, and returned to England. The Endell Street Military Hospital was the first hospital in the UK run by women for men. It opened in May 1915 until December 1919, treating over 26,000 patients, 24,000 of them male.
This collection contains:
- letters regarding the Women’s Hospital Corps from Louisa Garrett Anderson to her family (mainly to her mother, Elizabeth Garrett Anderson);
- a notebook by orderly Nina Last covering her work at Endell Street Military Hospital;
- scrapbook relating to Endell Street Military Hospital compiled by Flora Murray for 1916;
- photographs of the hospitals and image of an embroidered shoe bag.